November 09, 2009

Translation vs. Authorship

Writing in any form is a frustrating experience for me, it can be liberating to throw all the ideas in my head onto a blank screen. But if there are restrictions, self imposed or otherwise, placed on the final product, then it becomes a frustrating process.

In writing class a few weeks ago, it occurred to me that an author can write with his own voice. He doesn’t need to place any restrictions on himself, except if he has an audience, then he has to limit his piece, limit how his thoughts take linguistic form. The idea that he has in his head needs to get communicated properly, or at least to whatever extent he intends it to be conveyed. But that is the only restriction, which I find to be optional (I’ve encountered a lot of texts where the author chose not to convey his message very clearly, much to my upset).


note: this is all I have thus far and is all I will have. I don't have the patience to finish it.